Thanks so much and cant wait to see you on our new page!!!
So I am sure we all have a drawer full of junk T-shirts from your job, races you have run, and free giveaways. I myself end up using these tee’s for pajamas. I found a DIY pin on Pinterest (don’t you just love pinterest) on how to make your frumpy tee’s more fashionable. Check out mine!
So this is what you will need:
1. Pick your over sized shirt, I decided on camo shirt I picked up at the thrift store for $0.99.
2. Cut around the ribbed collar of your t-shirt until it is completely off. Make sure to stay close to the seam.
3. Remove both sleeves by cutting around the seams that attach the sleeves to the main body of the shirt. Again, make sure to stay close to the seam.
4. Cut the neck hole about an 1.5 inches deeper. I recommend cutting to the halfway point and folding the cut strip onto the other side. Then you can use the part you’ve already cut as a stencil for the other part; this way the neck hole isn’t lopsided. Or you can do like I did and grab your sports bra, outline the front of the tank so its even and then cut the neck.
5. Now cut the sleeve holes about an inch from the neck line. The tutorial I found said to make a cut like the one here. But I found that this cut makes the shirt gape a little awkwardly on the sides. I recommend turning the shirt over and cutting more onto the back than on the front.
6. Cut a “V” down the back of the shirt and using the scraps from the sleeve, cut a strip about 2″ wide and 8″ long. (I used the collar that I cut off)
Now I have super cute tee’s I can work out in, heck I can even wear these tops out with a pair of jeans or shorts!
On Sunday I ran my first Half Marathon 13.1 Miles, I trained about 10 weeks for this marathon and played kick ball at the same time so sometimes I had my challenges getting my runs in. My journey started Sat morning with a car ride to Myrtle Beach from Atlanta. I rode with two of my kickball team mates which made it even easier since we already had a bond from being on the same team. Myrtle Beach here we come!
Hey I had to get comfortable, LOL! After navigation getting us lost for about an hour we finally arrived in Myrtle Beach around 3:30 p.m. at the expo to pick up our race bibs. While picking up our bibs we saw fellow Black Girl Run members and our kickball team mates.
Finally were headed to our rooms and to dinner to meet the rest of the BGR ladies at Hard Rock Cafe.
So dinner is done and it bed time, I have got a big race in the morning. Oh wait we have to take pics of our race gear before we hit the sheets!
Rise & shine its 6:00 a.m. and its race day! I wasn’t to excited till I woke up, Beast Mode On! Yes I am crunk and ready for this race but first a few pics and I can’t forget to take my pain killers from my foot injury I occurred while training for my half marathon (heck no I wasn’t going to let that stop me).
So I’m here I cant believe this day has finally arrived, as I stand at the 6:00 minute mile mark which I have no business standing at, I need to be way back in the 12:00 minute mile mark but hey I know they will be passing me up so let take a pic and get ready for this race.
As I waited for the race to start my nerves were bad and I knew I needed to get my Nano 7 ready, I’ve got a long journey ahead of me. There goes the gun and I’m off! I hit my start button and I started my race down the strip to the unknown watching the sea of ladies run past me I felt my self get a little emotional, I couldn’t believe I was doing it! My nano spoke to me and told me I had just completed one mile, I thought in my head, “you have got to be kidding me that feel like three miles”! This is when I knew I was in for a challenging race. Everything was great and I paced myself until I reached mile four and could feel my foot starting to give me problems already, this is not good :-(. So as I struggled I decided to do the best I can and finish the rest even if I had to walk most of it. So I ran for a few miles and then would walk about a half a mile, and then run a little more. This technique seemed to work for me until I got to mile ten, my body was tightening up on the right side. My quads were killing me, and my calves from running on my toes for most of the race. I decided to walk at mile ten and then run the rest of the way, when I got to mile eleven the plan was to run all the way to the finish line. I can do this I run 5K’s 3 days a week right, reality check Genae you just ran 11 miles so right now you can’t LOL! I did a really good stretch before I started running mile eleven, I got about a half a mile and started walking again, I was beat and felt defeated but I wasn’t giving up. I walked and ran until I hit that last mile, here I come! I mustered up all the energy I had left in me and sprinted that last mile to the finish line. I saw so many of my BGR sisters rooting me on as I ran through the finish, I did it I’m finished! I thought I might cry when I was done but I didn’t instead I was about to fall out from trying to catch my breath. I received my medal and now it was time to celebrate, picture time!
I finshed my race in 2 hours and 40 mins, not to bad since my practice time was 3 hours.
Next time I would like to finish within 2 hours and 30 mins
What an awesome feeling and experience! My name is Genae and I am a Half Marathoner & a Black Girl that RUNS!
OK so now Ive got the bug im thinking of a Mini Triathalon in my future :-).
The best advice I can give anyone for a race:
- Try to find a workout buddy that has similar goals, you will inspire each other and push each other at the same time.
- Make sure you get fitted for the proper running shoes at a professional running store
- Stay Hydrated
- Make sure you cross train, its important you add strength training to the mix
- Never wear or try anything new on race day, train in what you plan to wear on that day
- Pace yourself
- The most important advice I can give is run your race no one else’s
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of shooting the Preserve the Sexy Tour in Atlanta. There were many speakers that consist of having healthier hair, eating healthier, using the correct running gear, and singer Q Parker from singing group 112 was a guest speaker. The tour focused on a program called, “walk before you run” which helps you transition into to running.
Ashley & Toni the founders shared how they started BGR and a little bit about them selves when it comes to their eating habits and working out.
I have exactly 11 days till I run my first half marathon, the Diva Half Marathon in Myrtle Beach. I finished my last practice run on Monday, I planned to run 11 but decided what the heck run the whole 13.1 and get it over with.
My pace was 13:57 in 3 hours 02 minutes, and 1456 calories. This was the longest and hardest run for me. Mile 9 my legs started giving out and 11, 12, and 13 were torture! My last mile I got a cramp in my foot but ill be dam if I stop when I have a mile to go so I skipped, hopped, walked and crawled till I finished 13.1 miles. I’m hoping to cut my time down by 30 mins on race day.
After my practice run I went and bought two bags of ice, for a ice bath, benefits of a ice bath:
- Speeds recovery. According to one report, it is believed to decrease the amount of time needed by the muscles of athletes to return to top condition between training sessions.
- Keeps muscles limber. One account suggested it would reduce muscle soreness after heavy exertion, such as after snow shoveling.
Can you say COLD!
The next day my body felt great, I definitely wasn’t sore like I usually would be, but I did notice that the pain in my foot was still bothering me. I found myself limping every where I went and any pressure on my foot hurt. After some research I learned the reason my foot hurt was due to the minimal shoes I run in, Brooks Pure Connects. Don’t get me wrong they are a great shoe, but they can’t handle long distant runs. OK so my foot is killing me and I have a Diva to run in a week! I headed over to my local family Dr. and he gave me a Cortisone (steroid) shot in the bum and some Naproxen for the pain. All I can say is wow, I felt almost nothing! So now I am trying to take it easy for the rest of the week but go to kickball practice.
I ordered a new pair of shoes, the Brooks Pure Flow, I am hoping they come in time so I can break them in..
Wish me luck!
So its been a super busy week with Spring Mini Sessions. I haven’t really been able to throw something on except kick ball gear or running gear. As I said in past post I am training for a half marathon and every Friday I add an extra mile on until I get up to 13 miles. Today I ran 8 miles with a good friend of mine, we ran the whole 8 miles with no breaks (pace 12:38, calories 960, 1 hr 41 mins). I am proud of both of us, but next week I think we will take a few breaks. That 8 miles non stop was no joke! Since I haven’t been dressing this past week I will share some pictures of my kick ball team and some of my sessions from this week.. Enjoy!!
As you can see I am super silly! LOL
On this day I was headed to a girls night out for ladies that run at Road Runner Sports in Atlanta.
Here were some of the high lights at the event:
Sip on cocktails + nibble on healthy treats
Let our Fit Experts cater to your every whim
Get a FREE gift with purchase of $75+*
Win fabulous raffle prizes
Be entered into our Grand Prize drawing for a FREE spot on the starting line at Nike Women’s Half Marathon* in San Francisco!
I ended up winning one of the raffles, a $50.00 gift certificate towards anything in the store by road runner. Since I am the budget queen I found three dri fit tanks on clearance, royal blue, turquoise, and purple.
I decided I wanted to be cute but comfortable, my converse always do the job when it comes to comfortable.
Pajama Red Polka Dot top: Lauren Conrad from Khols
When I ordered it I paid $10.00 now its $4.00 here
100% of the net profit from the sale of this item will support the fight against breast cancer
Skinny Jeans: Rue21 $10.00 (clearance, old)
Red Converse: Ebay $41.99
So I started playing on a kick ball team for the spring, it’s so much fun! I thought this would be another great way to stay active & cross train while I get ready for my half marathon. I’m having a blast but I am so sore, I’m working other muscles in my legs I don’t use while running. A friend of mine that works out faithfully in the gym body building suggested a pre & post workout supplement. I cant wait to get my products in the mail and don’t worry I will leave you with a review when I test them out.
- Elite Pre-Workout Solution. Evopoietin One-Alpha. Maximum Size. Maximum Strength. Maximum Pump.
- EVP is the synthesis of pharmaceutical technology, nutraceuticals ingenuity and the science of elite performance nutrition.
- EVP’s precise formulation was specifically designed with ingredients to increase muscle size and fullness, enhance strength and boost mental focus
- EVP is the complete pre-workout solution. EVP’s combination of pharmaceutical and medical-grade, ultra-pure ingredients results in the most advanced pre-workout compound available
- Evogen Nutrition’s Elite Mass & Recovery Catalys
- impact muscle growth
- recovery following high-intensity training.
- Support anabolism
- maximum hardness
As you can see these babies aren’t cheap but If its gonna help me with my muscle soreness I’m all for it (Oh and she said it last about 3 months so that’s not bad at all)!
Sharing a few pictures from my soft ball practice game…
These tips were shared with me and Im passing them on to you
THROUGH A RAPIST’S EYES” (PLS TAKE TIME TO READ THIS. it may save a life.)
Through a rapist’s eyes. A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
1] The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun! , braid, or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2] The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women who’s clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.
3] They also look for women using their cell phone, searching through their purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered.
4] The number one place women are abducted from / attacked at is grocery store parking lots.
5] Number two is office parking lots/garages.
6] Number three is public restrooms.
7] The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don’t have to worry about getting caught.
8] If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn’t worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9] These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas,or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.
10] Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you’re not worth it.
POINTS THAT WE SHOULD REMEMBER:
1] If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk: can’t believe it is so cold out here, we’re in for a bad winter. Now that you’ve seen their faces and could identify them in a line- up, you lose appeal as a target.
2] If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell Stop or Stay back! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they’d leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.
3] If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes,) yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.
4] If someone grabs you, you can’t beat them with strength but you can do it by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and armpit or in the upper inner thigh – HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it really hurts.
5] After the initial hit, always go for the groin. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy’s parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you’ll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble, and he’s out of there.
6] When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.
7] Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don’t dismiss it, go with your instincts. You may feel little silly at the time, but you’d feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
FINALLY, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE AS WELL ….
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do it.
2. Learned this from a tourist guide to New Orleans : if a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you…. chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car: Kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping,eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON’T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side,put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU CLOSE the DOORS , LEAVE.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
a. Be aware: look around your car as someone may be hiding at the passenger side , peek into your car, inside the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. ( DO THIS TOO BEFORE RIDING A TAXI CAB) .
b. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
c. Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked “for help” into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it’s better safe than sorry.
If u have compassion reblog this post.
‘Helping hands are better than Praying Lips’ – give us your helping hand.
REBLOG THIS AND LET EVERY GIRL KNOW
ATLEAST PEOPLES WILL KNOW WATS GOIN IN THIS WORLD.
So please reblog this….Your one reblog can Help to spread this information.
I hope you all will Reblog. Lets See how many of you really care for this.
This is my 26th Blog of the Ultimate Challenge
So for the past 7 months ive been working on a better me, I run, lift weights, and try to eat healthier. I drink smoothies often so my hubby decided for my birthday he would get me a really nice juice blender. After reading reviews on many blenders/juiciers he decided the Nutri Bullet was the perfect fit for me. He bought mine from Best Buy you can also buy it from Amazon and many other stores, it goes for about $99.00 to $124.00.
- Effortlessly pulverizes fruits, vegetables, superfoods and protein shakes into a delicious, smooth texture
- High-torque power base and 600-watt motor
- Power, patented blade design and cyclonic action combine to extract all nutrients from food helping to achieve the healthiest lifestyle possible
- Includes a power base, 1 tall cup, 2 short cups, 1 flat blade and 1 emulsifying blade, 2 re-sealable lids, pocket nutritionist and manual with recipes
- More power, more capacity
Today was my first day using it, I decided to add:
- Green leaves
- Vanilla Protein Powder
After you add everything you add water to the max line, turn it on and blend.
So far I like it, adding the vanilla protein I think made it taste a little sweeter which I really liked. Bonus points for the extra cups that come with it so you can take it on the go. I will update date you in a few weeks on how my new Nutri Bullet has been working out.
Do you use the Nutri Bullet, how do you like it and share some of your favorite recipes with us!
This is my 24th post of the Ultimate Blog Challenge